Together We Move is an on-going programme of responsive events and exhibitions, which celebrate Everything I Have Is Yours by Eileen Simpson and Ben White (Open Music Archive).
Since January 2019, local producer Liz Wewiora, and artist team, Sally Gilford and Ben McDonnell, have been working with over 60s residents from across Greater Manchester to engage with the music, visual culture and social history of the decade 1952–1962. Following a series of creative workshops including screen printing, collage, music and how to develop a ‘visual score’, the participants and artists have developed a collective artwork. This new installation fills the stairway and represents visual scores drawn from tracks including Moon River by Danny Williams (HMV) 1961, Oh Carol by Neil Sedaka (RCA) 1959, and Because You’re Mine by Nat ‘King’ Cole (Capitol) 1952. From 3 September 2019 an audio piece was added to the installation to animate the space further.
Exhibition Dates: Thursday 4 July – Sunday 3 November 2019
Opening hours: Tuesday – Friday 9.30am – 4.30pm; Saturday & Sunday 11.30am – 4.00pm
Venue: Blue Stair, Salford Museum and Art Gallery, Salford
Previous events and activities:
- Sunday 27 October 2019, 12 – 2pm: Introduction to filmmaking
- Monday 16 September – Friday 20 December 2019:
He was a wild one: An exhibition of 1950s and 1960s British music photography.
- Saturday 12 October 2019, 1.30 – 4pm: Music Memorabilia and Print Workshop
Introductory film screening of Everything I Have Is Yours at Salford Museum and Art Gallery followed by workshop at Islington Mill, Salford, where you will have the chance to create your own music memorabilia celebrating the music culture from 1952-1962 with local artist Sally Gilford.
- Wednesday 2 October 2019, 6 – 8pm: In Conversation: Paul Morley with Eileen Simpson and Ben White (Open Music Archive)
Join music journalist Paul Morley as he delves into the themes behind Everything I Have Is Yours, with the artists Eileen Simpson and Ben White (Open Music Archive), plus an audience Q&A.
- Sunday 29 September 2019, 12 – 2pm: Making music with your phone
- Sunday 29 September 2019, 2 – 4pm: Open Mic – Open Archive
Live spoken word and musical performances, plus interactive poetry writing workshop.
- Wednesday 4 September 2019, 5.30 – 7.30pm: DJ JAM Workshop
An inter-generational workshop offering the chance to turn your hand at DJ-ing.
- Wednesday 24 July 2019, Visual to Audio
A free creative workshop for music enthusiasts.
- Wednesday 10 July 2019, Together We Move Performance
A group of older musicians representing the film’s protagonists and wider Greater Manchester communities will performed at Manchester International Festival 2019’s Festival Square.
The Together We Move programme is supported by:
and Castlefield Gallery Commissioning Patrons, Jo and Allan Melzack.