Cami, photo Portrait taken by Photography Students – Sean Maguire and Sierra Mills

Introducing: Art Collection Intern Cami

Hi I’m Cami O’Hagan and I am over the moon to be working with the University of Salford Art Collection team as a Curatorial Intern. Recently having graduated from the BA (Hons) Photography programme in July of this year, I am now able to fulfil my professional aspirations in developing the curatorial side of my practice, with the support of the amazing members of this team; Curator Lindsay Taylor, Assistant Curator Stephanie Fletcher and Team Assistant Sam Parker!

I relocated to Manchester over three years ago to begin my academic journey at the Salford School of Arts, Media and Creative Technology. Born and raised in Belfast, Ireland by two parents who grew up during The Troubles – my work is profoundly rooted in socio-political issues within the UK and Western World. Completing my bachelor’s degree has shaped my decision in wanting dive deeper into the ‘behind the scenes’ of what it means to work in museum/gallery environment as an individual, but more importantly as a team.

This opportunity in working with the Art Collection has helped me navigate the daunting period that most people face when transitioning from student to graduate, I couldn’t have asked for a more rewarding and insightful experience. Beginning this internship in July, I have already gained a deeper insight and new perspective into how one handles and engages with a museum/gallery collection. Expanding my knowledge and skillset within the different branches of curatorial practices; my first responsibility in this role consisted of creating holistic blog posts on the Collection’s recent artwork acquisitions from the Derbyshire SLS/Buxton Museum (read more here) and also being given autonomy over selecting the ‘Artwork of the Month’ (coming soon!)

Additionally, to completing research and writing tasks, part of my role has also involved supporting the curation of the Art Collection’s most recent New Adelphi Exhibition Gallery exhibition ‘CATALYST’ which celebrates 10 years of the Graduate Scholarship Programme. Working with Steph and Sam in the preparation and installation process, creating a cohesive show that embodies the work from a variety of artists that have been part of the programme has been eye opening! Throughout the development of this exhibition, I have been prompted to step out of my usual stance as an artist, and step into the view of a curator. Grasping the challenges that come with this role; carrying out conditions checks, handling and displaying the artworks in a format that respects and amplifies the talent and intentions of each artist – I have learnt that this process is both delicate and complex.

Before starting this internship, I gained previous work experience within in the University of Salford’s Archive, working with Head Archivist Alexandra Mitchell on cataloguing and digitisation of the Walter Greenwood Archive. During this placement I came to realise the important role that archival practices hold within the area of curatorial and contemporary art projects, regarding the elements of researching and viewing materials and imagery through a different lens – in curating collections and archives.

Outside my role within the Art Collection, I uphold my own practice as a Creative Practitioner – currently I am investigating the connection between art, curation and activism. My artistry focuses on amplifying marginalised voices through photographic, archival and printmaking techniques. I produce large installation pieces through a hybrid-medium of collaged screen printing. My most recent projects focus on the themes of Queer oppression and restoration in the 21st century. Recently my ‘From the Top Down’ (2023) piece had been selected to be shown at Rosetta Art’s (London) ‘Queer in Newham’ exhibition back in March. Alongside my artistry, I have been developing my curatorial practice in cultivating my knowledge by researching and applying inclusive curatorial practices within the UK’s heteronormative arts and heritage sector. My determination in putting 100% into my research and practical experiments has recently granted me a nomination for the Dean’s Award for Academic Achievement at the 2024 Create Student Awards.

Now nearly two months into this internship, I am feeling inspired and ready to take on the next challenges set within my role; taking a further deep dive into the logistics of collection care and handling procedures. Putting my technical knowledge and skills gained within my last three years to the test in photographing, cataloguing, digitising the collection. I’m excited to explore the intriguing and varied strands within the collection, and most importantly to be part of the process which enables staff, students and the community of Salford to further discover what this collection has to offer.

Cami O’Hagan – September 2024

You can find more of Cami’s artwork and curatorial projects on their Instagram and website:

Instagram: @coh_visuals
Website: https://cohagan1.wixsite.com/camiohagan

Portrait taken by Photography Students – Sean Maguire and Sierra Mills
Degree show installation (2024)
Assisting curation & install of current exhibition CATALYST