Created by University of Salford Art Collection and School of Arts & Media in partnership with our professional partners: Castlefield Gallery, Hot Bed Press, Islington Mill, Paradise Works, Mirabel Studios and Redeye, The Photography Network.
Now in its fifth year the Graduate Scholarship programme was established to support artists in the crucial first year after graduation. We want to encourage artists to remain in Salford and to develop their professional practice within the artist community in the city. Although the programme is for one year many artists remain in studios in Salford or part of the wider Scholarship network.
The 12-month programme is open to all final year undergraduate students from the School of Arts and Media.
Starting in summer 2018, we have six scholars. The group will comprise four Visual Arts graduates, one Fashion Image Making and Styling graduate and one Photography graduate. Visual artists Sadé Mica, Ovie Ist Kings Iruru and Katie McGuire will have studio spaces at Hot Bed Press, Mirabel Studios and Paradise Works respectively. Fellow visual artist Alena Donely will shared a studio space with Heather Glazzard from Fashion Image Making and Styling. Photographer Joshua Turner will be with Redeye, The Photography Network.
What we offer:
Each award is bespoke and is tailored to the needs of the individual. However, as a guide we offer:
- Up to £1000 cash award towards professional development (for example research, travel, and training) or production/material costs.
- Studio space at one of the studios: Hot Bed Press, Islington Mill, Paradise Works or Mirabel Studios (new for 2018/19).
- Mentor support & guidance from more established artists and arts professionals.
- Opportunity to work with and develop links with a peer group of new graduate artists, and build new professional networks.
- Professional development and training opportunities.
News from our Scholars
- Heather Glazzard (2018/19 graduate scholar) exhibits her series Queer Letters at Open Eye Gallery, Liverpool. (November 2018).
- Photographer Joshua Turner (2018/19) is interviewed by India Booth about his latest Kickstarter project. (September 2018)
- Joe Burton (2015/16) has released his debut album Songs From The Earthly Kingdom, under his pseudonym Trothgard.
- Elliott Flanagan (2017/18) will be exhibiting at PROFORMA with Salford Alumna Sarah Boulter as collaborative duo Nightshift International. The collaborative duo are also exhibiting inTwice as Nice at PS Mirabel.
- Lubna Ali (2017/18) has solo exhibition, My Show, My Rules at PAPER gallery.
- Lubna Ali (2017/18), Claudia Alonso (2017/18) and Sadé Mica (2018/19) are all exhibiting in group show Push and Pull at New Adelphi Exhibition Gallery.
- Lubna Ali and Claudia Alonso (2017/18) exhibit in group show PRINT UnLtd. at Salford Museum and Art Gallery.
- 2018/19 Graduate Scholars Cohort announced.
- Claudia Alonso (2017/18) exhibits work at Manchester Museum. Interview with India Booth regarding the A Rubbish Night at the Museum exhibition at Manchester Museum (April 2018).
- Jamal Jameel (2017/18) exhibits in Liverpool.
- Joe Beedles performs at the Future Sessions Launch Party.
- Joe Beedles (2015/16) to give a performance at CFCCA.